Employer Costs for Employee Compensation news release text

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $30.80 per hour worked in September 2012, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Wages and salaries averaged $21.32 per hour worked and accounted for 69.2 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $9.48 and accounted for the remaining 30.8 percent. Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $28.95 per hour worked in September 2012.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC), a product of the National Compensation Survey, measures employer costs for wages, salaries, and employee benefits for nonfarm private and state and local government workers.

Compensation costs in state and local government State and local government employers spent an average of $41.56 per hour worked for employee compensation in September 2012.

Wages and salaries averaged $26.91 per hour and accounted for 64.7 percent of compensation costs, while benefits averaged $14.65 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 35.3 percent. Total compensation costs for management, professional, and related occupations, which represent approximately half of all state and local government employment, averaged $50.43 per hour worked. Average hourly compensation costs were $28.97 for office and administrative support occupations. (See chart 1 and table 4.)

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/ecec.nr0.htm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>